I came up with this recipe when I was cooking a Greek dinner. I couldn’t find a good recipe for the fresh green beans I had in the kitchen, so I used the style I found was common for other green vegetables. This recipe is easy and delicious. Don’t overcook the green beans – they are best if they still have a little crunch when you serve them.
- 1/2 lb fresh green beans, with ends trimmed off
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced or crushed
- 1/2 cup of shallots or onions, finely chopped
- 1 8 oz can of diced tomatoes
- 1 Tablespoon of olive oil
- pepper and salt, to taste
Heat the olive oil in a heavy frying pan, then add the shallots and garlic. Sautee at medium high heat, until soft. Add the green beans, sautee for a couple of minutes, then add the tomatoes. Cook until the tomato juice is mostly evaporated and the green beans are tender but not yet limp. Add salt and pepper to taste.